THE STATE OF TEXAS – TOWN OF ANDERSON – BE IT REMEMBERED, that on this the 11th day of August 2022, at 7:00 p.m., there was begun and holden a Regular Meeting of the Town of Anderson, Grimes County, Texas.
1. Call to order: 7:05 p.m. by Mayor Pro-Tem Harold Minor
a. Roll call: Bessie White, Daryl Alford, Harold Minor, Karen McDuffie (via Zoom), Kason Menges, Marc Benton, and Pam Johnson were present at roll call. Visitors present were Brian Colbert, Emma Campbell, Will Borski, Charles Borski, Katie Kurtin, Jerome Pasket, Mohammed Altameemi, Adil Altameemi, and Carnell Carrell.
b. Quorum established.
c. Invocation was given by Kason Menges
d. Pledge to the US Flag
e. Pledge to the Texas Flag
2. Public Comment – None
3. Consider and take action to approve the minutes of meeting on 7/19/22.
Daryl Alford made motion to accept minutes as read, seconded by Kason Menges. All approved; motion carried.
4. Consider and take action to approve the list of claims and bills.
Kason Menges made motion to pay bills, seconded by Marc Benton. All approved; motion carried.
5. Sewer Report from Big Wastewater Company
Brian Colbert gave overview of TCEQ audit findings, observations, and action to rectify problem areas. Need electrician to check things out at the plant & will need engineer involved at some point.
6. Road work update from Harry Walker
Harry Walker gave update on road repairs in town. Work might go into next fiscal year.
7. Consider and take action Consider and take action to approve bid to replace roof.
Bids were discussed and Daryl Alford made motion to accept bid from America’s Choice to replace roof, seconded by Kason Menges. Marc Benton abstained from vote due to personal conflict, all others approved, motion carried.
8. Consider and take action on Jerome Pasket’s compliance proposal on the property at 353 N Main Street.
Jerome Pasket stated that he was in a bid process to get into compliance with ordinance and asked for 60 days to come up with the solution. Motion made by Daryl Alford to allow 60 days for bids on fence and plan to move forward, seconded by Bessie White. All approved, motion carried.
9. Consider and take action to prioritize and begin abatement procedures on vacant properties around town.
List of complaints around town, Harbour House, Blackshear house, mobile home on Schroeder St, cars in alley behind Pam Sczymanski’s, non-running vehicles in Borski yard on Main St, BBQ trailer on corner of SH 90 & FM 149.
• Blackshear – will be torn down in 6 months
• Waiting on call back from owner of mobile home on Schroeder
Motion by Marc Benton to postpone to next meeting, seconded by Bessie White to postpone to next meeting. Discussion that this needed to move forward tonight. No ayes, all nays. Motion did not carry.
Daryl Alford made motion to move forward on Harbour House, seconded by Kason Menges. All approved, motion carried
10. Consider and take action to accept resignation of current cleaning person.
Motion by Bessie White to accept resignation, seconded by Kason Menges. All approved, motion carried.
11. Consider and take action to hire new cleaning person.
Daryl Alford made motion to hire someone at $75 per event, seconded by Kason Menges, three ayes & 1 nay, motion carried.
12. Receive, review, and discuss Chief Appraiser’s Submission of 2022 Appraisal Roll, No-New Revenue Tax Rate, Voter-Approval Tax Rate, and other Tax Rate Adoption Materials.
13. Consider and take action to propose 2022 Tax Rate.
Motion by Marc Benton to propose tax rate of $0.151058, seconded by Kason Menges. All approved, motion carried.
14. Around Town
• Benefit for Otis Greenwood 8/13/22
• Need to look at setting expiration vendor permits at next meeting
15. Permit report
• Anderson Baptist Church – adding on to building
• Vender permit for snow cone stand
16. Adjourn at 9:24 p.m.
Motion by Marc Benton to adjourn, seconded by Kason Menges. All approved; motion carried.
Signed: Karen McDuffie, Mayor
Pam Johnson, Town Clerk