The Town of Anderson, Texas
October 9. 2014
Members Present: Gail Sowell, Mayor; Erna Freeman, Mayor Pro-Tem; Alderwomen: Carol DeBose, Karen McDuffie; Aldermen: Joe Boudreaux, Tom Johanson
Anderson Attorney Present: Michael R. Casaretto
Visitors Present: Chester Finke, Cindy Bell, Louise Sanders, Ken Sanders, Emory Earl Sneed
1. There was a quorum thus a public open meeting was called to order at 7:00 P.M. by Mayor Gail Sowell. The Pledge of Allegiance and the Texas Allegiance and invocation were recited.
2. Remarks of visitors:
Cindy Bell stated that the Chamber of Commerce was undecided if they were going to participate in Anderson’s Trunk or Treat.
Emory Earl Sneed stated his displeasure in the water company’s fee for hooking up to the water system as well as the town’s sewage hook-up fee as well since he has been paying all these years at his other place where he lived as a resident. Mayor pro-tem explained that everyone is charged a fee when hooking up to the system. She further explained the original set up of the sewer system as well as the present fees for all new residential and business hook ups to the sewer system. She also explained that the water company has its own fees for water hook-up. No action is required by the board of aldermen.
3. Minutes of previous meeting held on 9-18-14 were read by each board member present. A motion was made by Erna Freeman to approve the minutes as written. The motion was seconded by Karen McDuffie. All approved, motion carried.
4. Mayor Gail Sowell discussed a request from Connie Clements, member of the Keep Navasota Beautiful Commission, concerning placing a recycle bin at the Anderson trash collection site. It is her understanding that it would not require additional staff as the collection sites are already manned. Ms. Clements would appreciate a letter of support, on city letterhead, for this effort of placing bins at the collection site. After hearing the request Joe Boudreaux made a motion to support the request of placing recycle bins at the trash collection sites in Anderson. Erna Freeman seconded the motion. All approved, motion carried. Mayor Gail Sowell will send the letter of support to Ms. Clements.
5. Erna Freeman made a motion to have Jones&Carter and GrantWorks begin the process to apply for the Texas Department of Agriculture 2015-2016 Texas Community Development Block Grant (TxCDBG) for the purpose of up-grading the sewer system to be able to meet the new standards of testing that is required by TCEQ for the Town of Anderson. Karen McDuffie seconded the motion. Mayor Gail Sowell informed the board and visitors, who were not able to attend the open workshop that was held at 3:30-4:30 on October 9, 2014, why the need of this new system is necessary and the total amount of the block grant would be $275,000 which is very close to the estimated cost of the project. All approved, motion carried.
6. Motion was made by Erna Freeman to deny the annexation request from Ms. Karrie Cooper at this time. Tom Johanson seconded the motion. Attorney Michael Casaretto explained that at this time there are a list of issues and questions (but not limited to) that need to be completed by Ms. Cooper such as contacting Entergy, TxDot, and an engineer; as well as presenting a true architectural business plan before he can advise the council one way or the other. He stated he will be willing to help direct Ms. Cooper to help her along to obtain the necessary paperwork before resubmitting her request of annexation to the town of Anderson for consideration once again. All approved, motion carried.
7. Tom Johanson motioned to pay bills currently due as presented. Joe Boudreaux seconded the motion. All approved, motion carried.
Open session closed: 8:03 P.M.
The board entered into closed session at 8:05 P.M.
Closed session adjourned: 8:45 P.M.
No Action required on items discussed in closed session.
Next scheduled meeting: November 13, 2014 @ 7:00 P.M.
Attest: ______________________________ ______________________________